Garden of Joy
Did you ever think your wood working skills would be helpful overseas? They are in Cambodia! Jumpah is looking for a volunteer to come help teach woodworking, help the woodworking project become profitable, and manage, train, and mentor Cambodians as they develop their skills in woodworking, business, and life. A three-month to one-year commitment is desired (any length considered).
are to teach a variety of woodworking skills and principles to a growing team
of Cambodians. Help determine products to make, based on skills of team,
resources available in Cambodia, and potential markets. Help the woodworking
project to become profitable and to expand. Intern should have demonstrated
abilities to use electric and manual tools create high quality products, the
ability to teach and pass on necessary skills is of vital importance. Intern
must have patience, endurance and physical stamina.
Tim and Darlene Ratzloff
Intern will live on the site of Jumpah activities in a rural setting. The room will most likely be a cement room with a tile roof and would provide privacy. The room would include access to electricity, a separate toilet/bathing room, and clean water. Appropriate conditions will be provided to ensure a culturally appropriate environment for an intern of either sex.
Intern will eat with the staff and children at the orphanage. Daily meals include meat, vegetables and fruit, all served hygienically.
Jumpah offers a very friendly and supportive environment, much like a very large family. The intern will have unlimited options for developing relationships with adult staff and with children, many speak English.
For the first three months, the intern will be given a language facilitator and one hour per day for more formal language learning.
The intern will be able to go to Phnom Penh, if desired, on at least two weekends per month. Jumpah hopes the intern will want to remain on site the other weekends, to participate in normal daily activities, and to relax, play and interact with Jumpah staff and kids.
Jumpah will provide
- Place / room for intern to live at Jumpah site.
- Bed, mosquito net, some very basic furniture.
- Three meals / day when living and working at Jumpah site.
- Language facilitation (about one hour per day, Monday-Friday) for three months; after that, to be determined.
- A real-life experience that will provide an opportunity to learn about holistic ministry in a third-world country.
Intern will provide
- Hygiene supplies
- Bedding materials (sheet, pillow cases, blanket)
- Proof of medical insurance (including emergency evacuation coverage)
- Laptop computer, if desired
- Phone, if desired
- Cambodian license, if intend to drive a vehicle or motorcycle
- All monies necessary for personal trips, weekends in Phnom Penh, etc.
For a Jumpah brochure, download here
Interested candidates should send any questions, a letter and a resume to Darlene Ratzloff
For information on this or other volunteer opportunities through International Ministries, please email or call us at 1-800 222-3872 ext 2366.